Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:40 AM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Blacksmiths Book of Schematics Fun!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blacksmiths Book of Schematics Fun!  (Read 28347 times)
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

We all know of the Weavers Book of Patterns and the list of Drafts it contains. If not, go to the first topic in this subforum and find the link.

Anyways, we will be having a few tag-a-long pieces with our game to give the player a fun printable extra to help them track the Schematics and how to Draw them. To clarify, our GUI will have the player Draw a connect the dot style shape over a grid making a pattern. These will be much more complex than 4 note drafts, so to give the player a tracking method will be fun.

Now, in LOOM there were many many Drafts featured in the Book of Patterns that the game did not have. And the descriptions were fun to read giving the player some exciting insight into the game. I thought it would be fun for people to write their own excerpts for the Book of Schematics. These could be from Forge or it could be a Schematic you'd like to see.

I'll post a few random ideas myself, but I thought it would be a fun activity to use the Book of Patterns as a reference and have a little fun activity on the boards. Anyways, hope to see some posts!  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:10:19 PM by Da_Duke2000 » Logged
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »

One for fun!

Plating Schematic:
Used by wardens in the Brigade Era, Blacksmith jails used the Plating of a prisoners arm or leg to serve as a method of decreasing mobility, thus reducing the number of escapees. Once Plated, inmate tracking numbers were also embossed onto the metallic limb for tamper-proof identification.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:11:00 PM by Da_Duke2000 » Logged
ClericMaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »

I like that idea! But..... well, I noticed in the Forum home page that it showed a clip of one of the gauntlets. I noticed it had these glowing orbs or whatever on the knuckles. Why don't you just click on those orbs to play a note or whatever, like in LOOM?
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »

You're right. We do have a colored animation per Spark.

And we could do it that way, but remember that this is Forge, not Loom 2. We didn't want a LOOM clone.

While you're here, why not make a post about a Schematic for the Book!
ClericMaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »

Okay!
Ummmmmmmm.......
Got it!
 The light schematic! Causes a ball of light to suround the target. Very useful for temporarly blinding guards so you can sneak past them! Can also be usefull for making dark areas bright.
 Reverese is Darkness schamatic. Can darken lighted rooms.
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »

What Duke forgot to say in the first post, is that all schematics in Forge should have a name and a use that somehow resembles some property of metal. So: rust, polish, bend, etc.etc.

Btw, a schematic that makes a metal object shine like a mirror, could be used to blind opponents, for sure. And this is more or less what you suggested, isn't it?

Enter the abyss...
pwblaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »

i know you touched on Brittle vs Strong, perhaps Flexible vs Hard?

Heat vs Cold, for sure

Alchemy may have a place too, in the olden days, it was assumed you could turn any metal into gold by mixing it.

and perhaps for a good ol' loom throw back, Sharp vs Dull?

And as any good metalworker today can do, Lock vs Unlock, maybe? that's kind of bordering on magic thogh, and may be uncessary if you can just make a door brittle then break it down.

oooh... maybe, a schematic to change the state of a metal, you know Liquid vs Solid.

OOH ELECTRICAL, Conductive vs Inert
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »

You're sneaky Patrick. We've already thought of Conductivity, both potentially for the ability to Conduct Heat and/or Electricity. One that I would like to incorporate, is from the Book of Patterns. The Draft of Folding (basically teleporting between two folded points in space) could be adapted to serve here. Especially since metal is Folded as well.

Hrmm *scribbles new plot elements*...Wink
Wonkyth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:05:43 AM »

While allot of the metallurgical processes have been described, there are also the five basic techniques used in forging:
Drawing, Shrinking, Bending, Upsetting, and Punching.
While not all of those processes could be easily turned into something functional for the game, I just thought I'd put this in for consideration.
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »

"Punching".... oh, I'd love to see Rusty draw this schematic and then deliver an uppercut right under Chaos' chin.

uhm... maybe I'll just make a "Forge: the fighting game" with MUGEN.  Tongue

Actually, being serious, you've been really helpful, since I don't remember any of those 5 being considered before, except for Bending, which is quite obvious of course. If you also wish to suggest a way in which they can be used as schematics, it would be great. I must confess my ignorance on the subject, and the fact that I don't even know what most of those terms refer to.

Enter the abyss...
Wonkyth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »

Wikipedia is your friend!
I only looked up the stuff just before I made that post, so it's all quite new to me as well.
Wonkyth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 05:25:03 AM »

Okay, finally getting back to this!
Just taking a stab at this, but here some ideas for schematics from what I mentioned above:
Drawing could be used to generally change the dimensions of something(while still maintaining the same density and mass), and could be used for many things, such as lengthening a pole, or even(if you wanted to be a little sadistic) torturing your foes for information(v. effective rack).
Shrinking would probably have to be the reverse schematic of Drawing, as otherwise there's going to be some conflict of roles here, and the same probably goes for Upsetting, unless it was used for some other purpose, perhaps something to do with teleportation(thinning your presence in one place, thickening it in another).
Punching could be used as a general way to strike something with focused force, and could also perhaps be used for changing the appearance of a surface/thing in general, by generally reshaping it at a molecular level, shifting and beating the surface until it is something altogether different.

Just some ideas, mostly a little vague.  Tongue
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »

sounds interesting! Smiley

ClericMaster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »

Maybe the final boss could be similar to Guybrush vs LeChuck from monkey island 5! Like have Rusty getting beaten up by Chaos but secretly setting up a trap along using schematics that would KO Chaos in the end like setting up a bomb in the Forges boiling room that would blow up the Forge. Their would be a dramatic hesitation because Rusty would be sacraficeing his home in order to strike a fatal blow on Chaos's plans.
Africa

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 02:14:22 AM »

Just wondering why the stipulation that the schematics should all have to do with metal properties. Very few of the Drafts actually had to do with weaving. Although I guess the idea was that they were weaving the fabric of reality. And I guess the Weavers were unique in having "magical" powers, so maybe it makes sense to have Rusty be limited to somewhat more mundane forms of "magic."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Blacksmiths Book of Schematics Fun!
Jump to: