Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 09:44:59 PM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1425 Posts in 171 Topics by 158 Members
Latest Member: MattL
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Forge Tech Demo Ver1.0 Now available (Updated April 1, 2010)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forge Tech Demo Ver1.0 Now available (Updated April 1, 2010)  (Read 38883 times)
Argyle

Pixel Headed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

Just wait til they get a load of the mech and the materia system.
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »

Its hilarious that you joke about that. I was threatening Abisso today with having a revision with some misc gaming series mechanics merged into Forge. Like collectible card games, monster breeding, evolution, and of course a job system Wink. Didnt think about Materia though....

*rewrites the script*
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »

Angry

Enter the abyss...
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »

Cheesy

Alex

In Donaldismo Veritas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 05:54:48 AM »

So, I finally bought and completed Loom (FM-Towns. Will try out the "talkie" too), and went straight to this tech demo. It is very impressive, and I just have two things to "complain" about:

-The drawing system is a bit too sensitive on the "practise" level, but fine on the other two.
-The Distaff (in the "rewards" screen) is mouse-only - that is, you can't use the keys a, b, c, d, e, f, g and [shift]+c like you could in Loom.

The music choice is excellent, and I'm in love with the pixel art. Great job!
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »

Well spotted. Fortunately most the complaints we hear are focused on these one or two areas. I'm glad you enjoyed the art! Its something we are the most proud of.
Unai

DON'T PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »

Well, I've read a lot of complaints about the drawing system... I tried the demo with a touchpad in a laptop and didn't have any problems in any of the levels

I am a deeply superficial person
Alex

In Donaldismo Veritas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »

I suppose some people just have steadier hands than others Smiley

But the point of the practice level is to make the game accessible to "everyone", so if many people think that it is too hard, it really should be changed.
Unai

DON'T PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 01:47:32 AM »

I totally agree, just wanted to mention my experience.

Probably reading the forums before playing made try things slower... I'm not sure if people is trying to draw the schematics quickly, rather than doing it carefuly.

Anyway, I agree the difficulty here should be in remembering the schematics and drawing them again rather than having the steady hand to draw them...

To solve this i'm thinking of my Android phone unblock system. First the dots are bigger, and second it really doesn't matter if you don't follow a straight line as long as you reach the next dot. Maybe for practice level the system should only check if you get from dot to dot (maybe without crossing any lines other than the one connecting the dots). That should make things easier.

I am a deeply superficial person
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »

Thanks for your feedback Unai!

Its nice to hear that some of our users are not having too much issue with the drawing system. We've discussed the option of giving the player "free drawing" across lines as long as he connects to an adjacent dot. The GUI grid itsemd may still undergo a large change. Operationally though, I'd like to imagine we're almost there.
llamaman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »

Wow! I am simply amazed by this tech demo! I loved Loom and was googling it when I happened upon your project. I am very excited to have found this. The Gauntlets system is absolutely brilliant. Very Loom-like but unique from the Distaff.
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:18 AM »

Thanks for your kind words there llama. We definitely didn't want a Loom Clone. In the end, it'll be a very true homage.
nils

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 12:54:48 AM »

Brilliant job. I'm pumped to be able to play Forge. I'm one of the newbies who just played Loom for the first time, via Steam. It's really a fabulous little game. When I heard about the cancelled sequels, and then this project, I got very excited.  :-)

I've just played the tech demo, and I'm really impressed. Here are my impressions:

Wow:
  • The Gaunlets. Beautiful. Just beautiful. Nice concept, nice execution, nice artwork. Faithful to the distaff, but not a clone of it. I like the way that new lines get added to the grid, and I basically like the difficulty modes, I think.
  • The story. I'm glad you're basically continuing the series as intended, instead of branching out. It's a strong plot.
  • I know it's trivial, but the Forge logo is excellent. Really excellent. Don't change a thing. I like the font homage, I like the color shift, and I like the stylized solid-looking background. Well done. I really want to see [The] Fold done like this, in green of course. But I'm going to have to wait for a while, I think.
  • The tapestries are lovely. I hope something like this menu system makes it into the final game.
  • Wonderful backgrounds.
  • I like the minigame icons.
  • The escape key gives me a menu! Haha! When I played Loom, I had to run through all the F-keys to find out which ones had an effect. :-(
  • Promising not to break the fourth wall in the actual game. Too many adventure games are hurt by generous dollops of snark, easter eggs, one liners, etc. I think there's a time and a place for them, but they are best kept to a minimum, and well to the side of the main story. Loom is not Monkey Island. :-)
  • That you have promised, as I understand it, to begin to release individual chapters if the entire game begins to smell like vaporware. That's great. Episodic content seems to be working for King's Quest IX.

Could use work:
  • The Gauntlets are too sensitive, I think. It shouldn't be a dexterity game. Perhaps they should be sensitive in Expert, but not the other modes.
  • Perhaps some subtle sound effects would be appropriate while you are tracing the line, like a faint ping as each dot is activated? It felt odd to be completely silent in contrast to the distaff.
  • The sprites could use some work. The professor looks like he tiptoes as he walks, and I swear his face looks like a border collie when he's looking at you. Rusty is better. I think the "gauntlet activation" sprite is interesting. I would tweak the heck out of Rusty's "walk" sprite to make it as perfect as possible, because people are going to be staring at that sprite over and over and over and over.
  • You've heard this one a lot, and promised the actual game will change it, but the demo is super wordy. The dialog needs to be not only shorter, but punchier. There were too many filler words, and some awkward word choices.
  • There are a lot of grammar errors, like superfluous commas, subject-verb agreement, wrong tenses, misspellings, and a missed "whom". I'm sure the final script will be perused by many proofreaders. Nudge nudge.
  • One of the fonts looks terrible. (It's the font used during the preview.) Is it some normal font scaled down to a small point size, instead of a font designed for a small point size? The capital M is a trainwreck, the "ea" digraph is horrid, and there are probably others. The font used for dialog is very good. The font used to introduce the minigames ("...only the top left Blacksmith icon...") is OK. The font used in the minigames ("Get some practice in...") doesn't work very well (check out the "w"). The use of Algerian on some buttons is OK, but it would help to modify the pixels by hand to bring out extra definition in the letters.
  • The are a few reservations I have about the menu system. Firstly, two small technical annoyances. Mousing over the tapestries makes my cursor disappear. It sounds nitpicky, but I found it disconcerting. Also, I think the tapestry reveal-the-button animation should be snappier. (The "END" button in the minigames screen has the same issue.) Second, a UI problem. Hiding the function of a UI element until you mouse over it is bad, even though it is pretty. I don't have a specific suggestion. Perhaps some animation other than the "reveal" animation would be more appropriate?

To keep in mind:
  • The music of Loom is great because it is Tchaikovsky. I strongly recommend basing at least the theme of Forge off a similarly strong composer, like Grieg or Wagner, or maybe even Tchaikovsky again. It doesn't need to be original, as long as it's good.
  • Loom had decent voice acting, which is not as common as it should be in professional games, and exceedingly rare in fan remakes. Beware voice acting. I'm not sure I have a suggestion. Maybe reach out to a local theater company and offer to pay for starving artist with a bit of experience? If not for everybody, maybe just for Rusty?

Please understand the wows greatly outweigh the suggestions. That you're making the game at all is great. The most important thing to get right--the gauntlets--you got right. The background art is very good. I am so happy. I'll probably donate a few bucks.

I wonder if you could raise some money by posting your tech demo and some screenshots to reddit.com/r/gaming or digg.com/news/gaming.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:08:35 AM by nils » Logged
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:03 AM »

Wow, thanks for all your thoughts! I'll be going through them one by one with Abisso to get his thoughts on some of what you have said. You're right of course, being too wordy is a curse of mine in any writing form, and we'll be very careful and take our beta testers opinions and edits to heart.

We will be releasing Chapter 1 independantly, and it will be dependent on its response and feedback from the public that will decide if we forego a Full Release in favor of an Episodic format. You all WILL have Chapter 1 before the full game, but there hasnt been a plan to release them chapter by chapter.

Could use work:
  • The Gauntlets are too sensitive, I think. It shouldn't be a dexterity game.
While I know we keep revisting the GUI topic now and again, I have a feeling that you're not far off from the final version. There is enough variety that we could add to the Difficulties without needing sensitvity. Plus, we could then offer Keyboard support to all Difficulties, and it wouldnt be cheating.

Lastly, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!
nils

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize it was a sure thing that Chapter 1 would get released separately. I think it's a good plan.

Besides criticism, I don't know what I can offer to the project other than a few bucks. Maybe copyediting? Maybe I could suggest some music? I'll try to think of something. :-)

Also, apparently I am not a dog person, because I was thinking of a rough collie, not a border collie... :-p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Forge Tech Demo Ver1.0 Now available (Updated April 1, 2010)
Jump to: