Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:57:24 PM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Project Assistance  |  Translation  |  Topic: Brazilian Portuguese translation
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brazilian Portuguese translation  (Read 7415 times)
janosbiro

Brazilian Portuguese Translator

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »

Hi,

I'm offering myself to translate the game to Brazilian Portuguese. Loom is one of my favorite games, I've enjoyed every moment of the demo and I'm very excited with this project. I'm Brazilian and I have some experience with translating from English. I've translated academic papers, documentary subtitles and games. You can check the credit for a AGS game I've translated here: http://www.expressivegame.com/team.html

The Brazilian game community is very large and will love this game. I'll wait for your answer. Thanks.
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »

Hello Janos. I checked your message on the AGS boards as well, and since you said you'd like to be helpful, I immediately thought that might have been one of the possibilities.

I'm surely interested, though I have a question: is Brazilian Portuguese much different from the other variants? I know your language is also spoken in some African countries (probably ex-colonies) and, of course, in Portugal.
I'd like to know if the differences are subtle as between American English and UK one, or more evident.

Also, please compile a list of unique characters used in your language and possibly a list of "not so necessary" ones; though I believe we can use a small variation of the Spanish font, from my little knowledge of Portuguese.

Thanks for the support!

Enter the abyss...
janosbiro

Brazilian Portuguese Translator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »

Hi abisso,

The differences between Brazilian Portuguese and other variants (including European Portuguese) are significantly evident. To give you one example, we use "Você" instead of "Tu" (both meaning "you" in every Portuguese variation) extensively, except in some territories. In Portugal, they only use it in rare occasions. This changes the structure of the common phrases as well as common verb tenses. So you can very easily identify when a text is in Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese, and reading in European Portuguese is very uncomfortable for a native Brazilian. So we translate every movie subtitle and book all over again, instead of reading the European Portuguese version. I don't know how others see our language, but they probably don't like it either.

The alphabet is the same as English, with these additional characters: Áá, Ââ, Ãã, Àà, Çç, Éé, Êê, Íí, Óó, Ôô, Õõ, Úú. They are not independent letters, but they are important for the correct pronunciation. I think it's very close to Spanish. I couldn't think of any "not so necessary" character, though.

I wish I can help.
Zeeg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »

I was going to offer help for Brazilian Portuguese translation too, but I'm too late =P.
Good luck biro, hope you do a good job. If you guys need help just ask anyway. Since I can't donate with money I wish I could be helpful some other way. And I wish I could join the beta test Wink.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Project Assistance  |  Translation  |  Topic: Brazilian Portuguese translation
Jump to: