Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:27 PM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  General Discussion  |  General Discussion - Vintner's Guild  |  Topic: Dropbox to backup, synch and share
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dropbox to backup, synch and share  (Read 15588 times)
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »

Hello fellow guildsmen.

This might look like a spam post, but it's not (not exactly, lol).

Dropbox is a free online service I've been using for a couple of years now. It allows you to have a folder on your hard-disk that gets constantly synched to on online storage, preventing accidental data loss and allowing access from multiple different computer. I keep the some of the most sensible Forge files there, which let me recover lost progress a couple of time and allowed me to access the data when my main computer had issues. I've been hosting the tech-demo there and recently the private beta. My plan is to host the Chapter One Demo as well, as soon as it's ready, because our web-host has low speed and bandwidth and the demo is huge.

What has all of this to do with you? Well, since it's a free service, Dropbox only allows storage for more or less 2GB which is reasonable for the average needs, but not enough for specific ones. There are some ways to enlarge the space available without the need to upgrade to a paid solution though, and one of these is having other people sign in using your invitation.
Each person signing in this way enables 500 extra MB for his and for the one who invited him. So it's a good deal for both of us.

Basically what I'm asking is if someone would be interested in Dropbox and if so, I'd appreciate if he / she signs in using the following link:
http://db.tt/3IkFQqEr

I assure you that this isn't a scam and Dropbox is really a free and very useful service. My space is close to zero at the moment, and so I'd really make a good use of some extra MB. I swear the majority of my account is being used to host Forge backups and sharing demos, and if I have more space I will backup all the data instead of just the most delicate files.

Thanks for reading,
-Gabriele

Enter the abyss...
Wonkyth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »

Made an account with my old email address, as I could use the extra space too. ^_^
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »

My account shows you've registered but you still have to install the client to unlock the extra storage space though.

Enter the abyss...
Wonkyth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:42 AM »

Now that I'm home -> have internet that can actually download things I'll set that up right away. Smiley
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

Thanks mate, it all worked flawlessly now.

Enter the abyss...
GovernorEMarley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »

Signed up and installed
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »

Thank you Governor!

Let's celebrate with a pint of Grog! Ahrrr!  Wink

Enter the abyss...
GovernorEMarley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »

http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb-of-free-encrypted-online-storage-from-tresorit?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

thought this might interest u
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »

Definitely interested. It's a shame that Linux isn't supported, but since I have all Forge's stuff in a folder shared between Kubuntu and a virtualized WinXP, I think I'll give it a go all the same.
It also doesn't look as versatile as Dropbox is, but 50GB... wow.

Thanks for sharing Guvna. Cheesy

Enter the abyss...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  General Discussion  |  General Discussion - Vintner's Guild  |  Topic: Dropbox to backup, synch and share
Jump to: