Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:02:58 PM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Is it a talkie?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it a talkie?  (Read 13406 times)
darkhorse286

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »

Hi,
I was just wondering if you had any plans to make it a talkie or if you are just going to keep it without.
Thanks
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »

Although slated as a 'demo', we want this to be near production quality. Voice overs would be one of the last steps but it is something I hope to add on. Always found talkies to be more immersive.
darkhorse286

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

I also find that the talkies are more immersive as they make the characters a little bit more real.
Sorry for the nooby question, but was there a talkie version of Loom?
kaio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »

Sure, and it was great! The only bad thing was, that some of the close-ups have been cut down. But otherwise, it's the best version. It had VGA-gfx, too.
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »

There are three main versions of LOOM.

EGA (16 Color)
-Limited pallette, with original script and background music playing at all times.

VGA (Talkie)
-Improved pallette, slightly altered script. Full Voice Acting. Music only plays during cut scenes.

FM TOWNS (VGA)
-Same pallette as VGA, minor alterations (visit the "New to Loom" thread for the screen shots). Music playing all the way through, no Voice Actors, but many new screens including a dozen character portraits.

I alternate playing the FMTowns and the VGA Talkie. I love the constant music, and it really feels more involved than the silence of the VGA when the player just walks around. Its a shame they couldnt figure out how to run a Dual Audio Channel back then, and have both.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:11:00 AM by Da_Duke2000 » Logged
patrikspacek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »

Guys, you have to make voice overs for it...   We just finished voice overs for Monkey Island 2 and other fan teams are making voice overs for Monkey 1. Its necessary thing today.
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »

I agree that it's absolutely necessary, but not a priority. When we have the game done, we'll start looking for voice-actors. I've seen in your post that you can do voice-overs, Patrik, and if you'd like to help, we'll surely contact you.  Smiley

Enter the abyss...
pwblaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »

i agree that voice adds a level of professionalism, and have definately become the standard today, i do alot of studio work, and if it ever comes to it i'd more than happy offer my services as an audio engineer, but as duke said. that's entirely last step.  hell they added speech to loom after like 3 years
Da_Duke2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »

Audio Engineer? Snazzy. Can you describe to us more with what exactly you do? Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Forge Progress - Melting Pot  |  Topic: Is it a talkie?
Jump to: