Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:37 AM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Updates & News  |  Topic: The huge Summer 2013 Update
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The huge Summer 2013 Update  (Read 34898 times)
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »

Hello there!

The Summer is finally over, and it's definitely time for an update. Just a small elucidation: Autumn here begins the 21st of September, so for as much as my idea of time is messed up, the introduction makes perfectly sense in my country.

Now, to some news.

First of all, in the last update I announced some potential good news. If I learnt something about being a project-manager and working on freeware games, it's certainly cautiousness with news. Forge is like a boat during a perfect storm, when the only stability comes from being in the eye of the storm. It's temporary, and it doesn't last long; for the rest of the time, it's a constant, chaotic roll.
To cut it short: a really talented artist offered his help with the game's backgrounds. He's closer to what I'd like to have as a team-member than any of the previous ones. He's really talented, has consistent past experiences, serious but not boring, and he's humble enough to work just to experiment on his own style, and not for money.
What else could you ask from a team-mate? Well, I could ask more free time. Like most of us, even this guy has a family, other interests, and bills that need to be paid. And to make things worse, his free time became even less recently, due to several happenings which are independent from both of our wills.

Good news is that he completely reworked one of the backgrounds for Chapter One, which only served the purpose of a short cutscene before. I had to paint it by myself previously, and the result was only decent. Now it's gorgeous, and the new design called for some extra features. Now there are really interesting elements of gameplay and some cool features which make that room different from the rest of the game and yet coherent with it.

Of course, all of this required time: not just for the extra design, coding and sfx creation, but also because when you start working with someone on such an important part of the game, you need to instruct him about the game's back story, the atmosphere, and the technicalities.

In the end it was worth it, I believe, but I can't say if the guy will be available to work on Chapter 3-5 backgrounds.

Another potentially interesting news is I'm working with a lively amateur film director, who's also interested in doing some PR work for the game. A position far more crucial than it might seem, as spreading the word seems to be our best chance to find more and more people to help us developing Forge. Art is still a huge issue, and what slows up development the most.
Still on the topic of news, I've been recently interviewed about Forge, but I'll tell you more about that on the next update.

Voice-acting: several unexpected issues and some of the suggestions of the beta-testers required some dialogues to be added, and some to be reworked from scratch. Some people didn't do what they were supposed to, and so I had to do some scouting for new voices. That meant a lot of selective work, with extra bad surprises from some of the contacted people. Not many choices are left now, but some good ones with professional equipment, and the lines that have to be recorded are not that many, so I think everything will work out fine, in the end.

Bugs: I think I've fixed all the ones spotted during the 2nd beta-stage, but I definitely need another beta-stage because of all the extras and to check the fixes. I'm totally positive that this is going to be faster and smoother than the previous tests, to the point that I'm finally going to make the long awaited announcement:

Forge's release date has been set to the first half of December!

And I'm talking about 2013, so this should be great news for all of you weavers. Or so I hope.

I'm not sure I'll manage this beta-stage as the previous ones, with open subscriptions. Somehow that didn't turn out that well, so I'll probably come up with a different approach. I'll let you know in the next few days, and anyway I intend to begin the testing in the third week of October.

I really hope this will be considered a positive update. Personally, I'm quite satisfied.

May the Forge be with you,
-Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti

Enter the abyss...
nils

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

It's wonderful to see progress. Thanks.
Zerointerno
Beta Tester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »

Yay!

I suppose I can guess which background was remade. Can't wait tol see if I am right or not
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:03:27 PM by Zerointerno » Logged
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

Yay!

I suppose I can guess which background was remade. Can't wait tol see if I am right or not

There are 2 possible backgrounds that fit the description, so I'm not 100% sure you've got it right, but probably, yes.

Enter the abyss...
Tim Bridges

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »

This is all great news! Good stuff! Can't wait to see the final product. Grin
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »

If I learnt something about being a project-manager and working on freeware games, it's certainly cautiousness with news.

[...]

Forge's release date has been set to the first half of December!

So what exactly did you learn?  Grin Cool

Still looking forward to all this!

Ruffa-Duffa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 04:06:55 AM »

Yes! I took about a month to check this site again but I'm glad I did. Really looking forward to this and I'm glad to see some progress. Great stuff!
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

In case someone still doesn't know, recruitment for the 3rd betatesting stage has begun.

CLICK HERE to sign in.

Enter the abyss...
threadbear

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

What's the latest, guys? I'm hoping to play this game over Christmas Smiley
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 05:56:25 AM »

well, ... okay, especially and only for you, mr. threadbear, we will release later today. Thanks for your interest, glad to be of service Cheesy

selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »

...or maybe later  Roll Eyes Angry Grin

threadbear

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 12:16:52 AM »

Just curious...tomorrow we move into the second half of december  Wink

I'll try to be patient...I'm super excited, that's all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Updates & News  |  Topic: The huge Summer 2013 Update
Jump to: