Forge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:38:05 PM
PayPal

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forge's Chapter One has been released on the 16th of December 2013!
Read more in the Winter Update 2013.
1435 Posts in 171 Topics by 163 Members
Latest Member: DarkMoe
Home main Search Login Register
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Updates & News  |  Topic: One year later... (New Year 2015 Update)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: One year later... (New Year 2015 Update)  (Read 83082 times)
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

Hello fellow weavers.

I've been thinking a lot in the days preceding this update, puzzled about what words I could use to provide an effective mixture of explanations, news and apologies.

Well, despite all the thinking, I haven't come up with anything satisfying, so I'll simply rely on my guts and put my mind to rest. Improvisation, that's the word.

So, first of all, it's really been about a year since the last update. In the "New Year 2014" post there were hopes, expectations, plans and generally all seemed quite promising. Then reality stepped in.

To be as brief as I can, the worsening of the financial crysis that has stroke Italy and the conclusion of some previous job experiences made it necessary for me to actively look for other occupations. With only some occasional freelance translations and computer repairs, that search took most of my free time. The worst thing about this cyle is how it drains your energy, so that the little free time left didn't go into Forge development, but mostly into cheap relaxation passively watching movies, series or playing games. I didn't even had the time to go out much for fun, and this is neither healthy nor ideal.
I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that, though I'm not saying all this because I want your pity (or your money). Truth be told I didn't want to share all that in the first place, but then I decided it was worth it. At least you'll see that I'm truly passioned, to the point I try to struggle to carry on and still save Forge a little spot in my life.

So, has there been any progress at all in Forge? Yes! Has it been much? Sadly nope.

Managing other people's work was not an option, due to time required and the fact I already had a (now finished) job as a project manager for another game. It's sad, because I definitely loosened the existing bonds with our faithful cooperators, especially Jamison Alderson and Master Pixelmold. I hope they will still be interested to help out as soon as the development will regain a steady pace.
Anyway, what I did was concentrating on coding Ch.2, preparing the game for translations, fixing Ch.1 bugs and adding extra features. Some of them might look like a waste of time to you, but they were actually either quite easy to accomplish or useful in terms of learning experience for other projects and occupations.

And so, despite having called "v1.0" the last demo before the final release, I felt the need to present you an update, something tangible and full of requested features and fixes.

Thus I bring you "Forge - Chapter One v1.1". Here's a brief list of what you should expect:

• Bug-fixing. The (few) issues found after the release of v1.0 have now been corrected.
  • Translations readiness. The complexity of the game required a lot of work and changes to prepare it for future translations. It should be done now!
  • Italian translation. Since it was imperative to do some testing about the effective translation-readiness, I took a couple of days and carried that out myself. This is the only translation included in the package.
  • Puzzle-fixing. I was bothered by how improvable the infamous Tomb's Puzzle was. I gathered all the critiques received and hopefully made the puzzle more interesting and fair.
  • Extra-gameplay. Some cutscenes were really really long, without the chance for the player to have a break. Now interactions / cutscenes have a slightly better balance. Don't expect anything huge, though.
  • Extra and improved commands. Middle and right mouse-clicks did nothing, now they clear the bottom right frame from the selected hotspot / object / character. Scrollwheel now can be used to select Y / N options from the confirmation GUIs. Double-click now launches Rusty's interaction immediately, without the need to wait for him to reach the spot. F12 saves a screenshot in the Screenshots folder inside the game's main one.
  • Changes in the schematics' drawing system. In the end I realized there should be at least a Proficiency Level that is very easy, to encounter the favor of the adventure purists. Practice is like that now, with no boundaries at all: just connect all the dots in the right order, and it will be fine. Standard is a bit easier as well, and Expert is almost the same as before. Also, all levels are now a bit more forgiving: if you trace back just one dot, nothing happens and you can still complete the schematic; and going out of boundaries is a bit more unlikely.
  • New launcher. This is one of the things I did mainly to learn a new scripting language and obtain a know-how useful in other contexts. But I was also very unhappy with the default winsetup.exe, both in terms of functionality and looks. Unfortunately the new launcher fully supports only Windows so far, but there will be Linux and probably also Mac support in the future, as Lua-LOVE is a cross-platform framework. I just didn't see the point in spending time for that until the game itself supports those OSes.
  • Loom Recap. Much more people than I expected were bothered because they needed to play (or re-play) Loom in order to fully understand Forge. Having already some sort of Loom Recap from the Tech Demo era, I decided to tweak it a little bit and make it more complete and informative. The Loom Recap can be accessed from the corresponding folder in the main game folder, but also from the new launcher.

This should sum it all up.

For what concerns other translations, the ones currently supported are: Italian, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Russian, Hebrew. This only means those translations will / should work immediately on this version of the game, as soon as they are carried out by the translators. Other languages, including Brazilian Portuguese, will be certainly supported in a future version of the game.
The big difference is people will need to download a whole next version again, while for the languages listed before they will only need to download a tiny file and place it in "v1.1" game's folder.

Beware that this release is still to be considered unofficial and unsupported, cause it didn't pass any testing phase. There might be new bugs, even awful ones that break the game completely. Use it at your own risk. Bug-report is welcome, but not necessary.
Same thing goes with translations (with the exception of the Italian one). Though I'll do my best to provide clear and complete guidelines, I lack the means to ensure the quality of the translations I won't carry out personally. I won't have time to perform a proofreading, but I put my utmost trust in all of the kind guys that offered as translators.
To all translators: you'll receive the necessary files and info in 1-2 days.

Well, I think it's time to give you a link. This time I opted for a simple archive and no-installer. Just uncompress it in a place where you have writing privileges, and launch it from either launcher.exe or winsetup.exe.

You can find in the usual place, the DOWNLOADS PAGE!

For what regards the future of Forge, it's hard to say. Things are going a little bit better from a financial standpoint now, but it's still early to cheer up and until I'm "stable" enough to actually have time to reorganize the team, development will be sluggish. For the moment I still need to use most of my time for my current commitments and for actively searching other ones.
Good thing is I've already set up an organized environment, mainly using Redbooth, in order to make management slightly less time-tolling; and there's a couple of people which might lend me a hand with the game, as well.

Last but not least, I'm organizing a giveaway as a compensation for all the hardcore Forge fans in the next few days. Yes, you heard that well: it's gonna be something really sober, but still a giveaway.

If there's something I've learned long ago, and that I still base my life on, is that sharing and giving are the best ways to express our humanity. Don't let this wicked and twisted society teach you anything different. Be helpful to others, hug, love, give support. And don't expect anything back.

I truly love you all,

- Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti

Enter the abyss...
Iurius

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »

Thanks, Abisso!
The game looks much better now, and take all the time you need to make a perfect 'Forge'.
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »

cool!

Now gimme dat translation file Smiley

CloudBow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:25:04 AM »

Hey, since all this project is a free labour of love, any news is good news!
Thanks for sharing your situation, and keep holding the dream.
The game as it is is really beautiful, and I personally can't wait to see how the story will unfold, even if it takes five more years... how long has it been since Loom, after all?
So take care of yourself, and enjoy the wonderful crystal fruit of your work!

Hugs
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »

Thanks Iurius, thanks Cloudbow.

And you selmiak, will need to wait my instructions! It's not like you take a "translation file" and just translate it. There are exceptions, recommendations, tricky parts etc. Nothing is as easy as it looks with Forge! Wink

Enter the abyss...
janelsenor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »

Dude, this is good news. Sorry about the financial struggles, but I'm glad to see that project is still alive. I can't wait to replay Chapter 1!!!!

"If we can't get along, we can ALWAYS get it on...."
selmiak
Yet another
Administrator

Everything is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »

you're not telling me, you implemented your own translation system on top of the working AGS translation system, are you? Shocked

Crusherhq

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »

Sad to hear about the struggle. But glad to hear that Forge will go on. I am also Looking fortward for Testing the 1.1 Release. I will test the German Language packet. Cheers Mate!
Iurius

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »

Tried to replay the new version of the first chapter - but the tombstone puzzle is still impossible to solve for me  Sad No hints and not a single idea as for what to do at all (at least on 'Standard' level)... It seems that I will have to play on the easiest level after all.

But here are some good news - abisso, are you aware that your 'Forge' is featured in the article 'The secret history of LucasArts'? They use the screenshots from the first chapter to illustrate the original 'Forge' that has never been released. Isn't it the biggest compliment for a fan remake - to be mistaken for an unreleased original game?  Smiley
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »

@Iurius: dunno what to say about the tombstones' puzzle... maybe you just were not in the mood for that kind of riddle. It's much easier now both in terms of interface and in terms of hints. All red herrings have been removed too.

Thanks for pointing me to that article. A couple of comments already shown the relation with Forge, but I added mine just in case. I admit it's nice to see our art can be mistaken for the original art, but I also think the journalist should have done a little bit more research before using it in conjunction with Dave Grossman's words.

Enter the abyss...
Zeeg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »

Gonna play it when I get home. I think it's going to be the second game (even being a patch) that I'll enjoy a lot playing this year. The only one by now is Tormentum Dark Sorrow. Waiting for this, Broken Age pt II, Obduction, Technobabylon and any other good adventure game.
GovernorEMarley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »

So happy to see this still going. You had us for a while sweet
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »

Hi Zeeg, hi Guvna. Glad you're happy to see me. For a moment I thought you had a gun in your pockets. Wink

As a small update, a particularly time-tolling commitment that began shortly after last update prevented me from starting the translation phase yet. Both guidelines and the main file are almost ready, but I arrive at the end of the working day so drained that I can't even consider applying the last touches and doing a double check.

You're used to being patient with me, so I'm sure it's no big surprise.

Enter the abyss...
michel_effeich

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »

I want to start by saying thank you for Forge.. i cant wait for the rest, and maybe fold as well Smiley)... maybe it was addressed earlier, or maybe it cant be done for legal issues, but have you thought about a kickstarter campaign to bring this to a wider audience? kickstarter has seen a surge in the past year and we are starting to see a lot of adventure games.. in your case, with chapter 1 already completed and patched, you would have no problem in showing what can be done and what will be done.. and then you will have all the financing required and all expenses taken care of.. if could still be made as a fan made contribution thing maybe with no minimum payment from anyone, but a minimum total amount to be reached to fund the game, and the amount should be equal to the expenses and salaries etc i.e. no profit to be made to remain fan-made not for profit to avoid legalities.. I am not sure, but just a thought. I for one, would back a kickstarter campaign and i am sure a lot of people will..
abisso
Fruit of the Loom
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »

Hi Michel, and welcome on the boards.

I'm grateful for your interest and I really appreciate the fact you took some time to encourage us and try to help. However, as you correctly guessed, yours is a Frequently Asked Question.
Follow the link and check the last 3 questions.

In any case, if I was to pay the salaries for myself and for the other team-mates, the amount of money required would be much higher than you think. If you start to pay someone it's only reasonable that you pay everyone and even if you keep the salary very low... well, do some maths considering a minimum of 4 people and 12 months of development (40 hours a week).
Consider that with Crowdfunding you usually get an average of 50% of what people pledged (because of taxes, perks / rewards, etc.) and you'll have the crowdfunding myth debunked.

Enter the abyss...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Forge  |  Everything Forge  |  Updates & News  |  Topic: One year later... (New Year 2015 Update)
Jump to: